first_imgLawmakers on the House Armed Services subcommittee on readiness offered measured praise Thursday to leaders of DOD and the military services for their initial response to widespread privatized family housing problems but raised concerns about long-term solutions, Stars and Stripes reported.Chairman John Garamendi (D-Calif.) offered support during a hearing Thursday but pressed DOD representatives about ongoing reports of problems with privatized family housing.“We’ve heard encouraging news. However… we continue to receive large amounts of correspondence from families struggling today,” Garamendi said. “We’ve heard that in some cases the very efforts headquarters put into place to try to improve the situation have led to counterproductive practices like closing maintenance work orders too quickly.”Ranking member Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.) highlighted the ongoing efforts of military spouses in raising the issue.“I want to commend the courage and persistence of military spouses for bringing this issue to our attention,” Lamborn said. “Without the diligence of military families raising their voices on behalf of others, we might still be uninformed about these troubling problems. This was truly a grassroots effort in the best traditions of America.”Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Richard L.J. Gourley ADC AUTHORlast_img read more


first_img Now playing: Watch this: Mate X foldable phone: Here’s what it’s really like to use Share your voice 36 Photos Originally published June 14, 5:24 a.m. PT.Update, 5:55 a.m.: Adds background on Huawei. What is going on between Huawei and the US? Huawei Samsung This comes after Samsung paused its release of the Galaxy Fold this spring. The $1,980 foldable phone was scheduled to go on sale in the US on April 26, but Samsung hit the brakes right before the phone’s launch due to numerous screen problems on review units. Samsung said a new release date for the phone will be announced in “the coming weeks.”The Mate X delay is just the latest challenge for Huawei, the world’s No. 1 telecom supplier and No. 2 phone manufacturer. In May, the US blacklisted networking gear from Huawei and President Donald Trump signed an executive order essentially banning the Chinese company due to national security concerns. As a result, some tech companies have cut ties with Huawei. Peng said the Mate X delay wasn’t due to the supply-chain issues, according to the Journal.The foldable phone was unlikely to launch in the US. In May, UK carriers Vodafone and EE said they were pulling the Mate X from their device lineups for their 5G network launches.center_img The Mate X was previously scheduled to go on sale this summer. Juan Garzon / CNET Huawei is reportedly delaying the release of its $2,600 Mate X. The Chinese tech giant is pushing the foldable phone’s launch date from this summer to September, The Wall Street Journal reported Friday.Huawei is delaying sales of the Mate X, in part, to improve the quality of the phone’s foldable screen, Vincent Peng, a senior vice president at the company, told the Journal during a tech conference in Hong Kong. “We’re doing a lot of tests,” Peng told the Journal, adding that Huawei aims to release the phone as soon as it can.Huawei didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.Commentary: Rushing foldable phones doesn’t work. Just ask Samsung and Huawei 4:59 Tags Post a comment Mobile Foldable Phones 0last_img read more