first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享John Funk for the Cleveland Plain Dealer:FirstEnergy would not discuss the fate of its power plants Tuesday night in the annual 13-state auction that grid manager PJM held to identify the most economic power plants that will still be operating in 2019.A flock of new gas-fired power plants jumped into the PJM competition this year, adding more than 5,000 megawatts of new power — stiff competition for aging coal-fired power plants. (One megawatt of electricity is enough power to supply between 800 and 1,000 homes, depending on the region.)There were also hundreds of megawatts of new solar and wind options in the competition, vying for PJM’s approval. And PJM revised its projections of future demand, based on consumer, commercial and industrial customers switching to more efficient technologies.The bottom line? The auction showed that PJM will have more than enough power — with a 22 percent reserve — in the future. And that it will be less expensive.For customers, the auction means lower prices. For companies owning power plants, the results mean lower revenues.The auction results are sure to ignite further arguments before the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, where FirstEnergy has refiled its request for subsidies to help its Davis-Besse nuclear power plant on Lake Erie and the W.H. Sammis coal-burning plant on the Ohio River. The PUCO approved a special arrangement weeks ago, only to see federal authorities object to a key part of it.Full article: FirstEnergy mum on fate of two old Ohio power plants in regional auction Regional Auction Raises Questions About FirstEnergy’s Intentions for Coal-Fired Power Plantslast_img read more


first_img Share BusinessNewsRegional Digicel owner denies bribery by: – March 24, 2011 Share DUBLIN, Ireland, Thursday March 24, 2011 – An investigation in Ireland has found that Digicel owner Denis O’Brien made payments to a former government minister to help him secure a mobile licence 16 years ago that helped him make a fortune and branch off into his lucrative mobile phone operations in the region – a charge he has vehemently denied.Justice Michael Moriarty, who headed the tribunal, concluded that OBrien paid Ireland’s former Minister for Transport, Energy and Communications Michael Lowry significant sums of money and, in exchange, Lowry gave O’Brien, “substantive information (that was) of significant value and assistance” to his Esat Digifone company securing Ireland’s second mobile licence ahead of rival bidders, in 1995.The final 2,350-page report published on Tuesday highlighted payments amounting to almost £900,000 (US$1.4 million), made or facilitated by O’Brien for properties in the UK, which the tribunal linked to Lowry.The tribunal said it was satisfied that the payments and other benefits were related to the awarding of the licence and accused the former minister of a “cynical and venal abuse of office”.But both O’Brien – who is Ireland’s richest man according to Forbes magazine which this month put his fortune at US$4.2 billion – and Lowry have denied the allegations. O’Brien, who sold Esat Digifone to British Telecommunications (BT) for US$2.4 billion in 2000 and earned US$240 million from the sale a year before going on to launch one of the largest mobile companies in the Caribbean, said the report was “fundamentally flawed” and was strictly based on the opinions and theories of the tribunal.“I wish to state in the most categoric terms once again that I never made any payment to Michael Lowry in his capacity as a government minister, as a public representative or as a private citizen,” the Digicel chairman said in a statement issued after the release of the report.O’Brien wants probe into judge’s conductHe went further, calling for an investigation into Justice Moriarty’s conduct. According to O’Brien, the judge admitted last year to making two errors which had been used to substantiate “false theories”.“The reason these errors were admitted was only because they had been uncovered by the diligent work of members of the legal profession. Furthermore, it is noteworthy that the chairman makes no reference to the concealment of crucial correspondence by the tribunal from the office of the attorney general over an eight-year period. It has been evident from the outset to me and to many other witnesses before this tribunal that the final report would be designed to damage the reputations of many reputable people,” he said. “I believe it is now incumbent on the judiciary to investigate the conduct of Mr Justice Michael Moriarty and the tribunal legal team for the manner in which they conducted themselves.”Digicel also issued a statement yesterday saying that it was in no way affected by or involved in the tribunal report.“The tribunal is made up of one member, Mr Justice Moriarty, who is expected to present what is referred to as a “reasoned expression of opinion” relating to the matters he has investigated. As a “reasoned expression of opinion” the report has no legal effect or consequences,” it said.Digicel went on to sing O’Brien’s praises, describing him as “the driving force behind revolutionising mobile communications across the Caribbean and the Pacific, making mobile communications accessible to all and ensuring that customers benefit from best value, best service and the best network”. It said that O’Brien’s vision, drive, energy and integrity continue to be integral to Digicel’s success that includes having 32 mobile licences across the globe, more than 11.5 million customers, and 5,500 employees worldwide. Lowry, meanwhile, also contended that the report has no basis in law.“I intend to study the report in detail and in due course, to challenge its veracity,” he said.The tribunal had been set up in 1997 to probe his financial affairs as well as those of former prime minister Charles Haughey. The circumstances surrounding the awarding of the licence to the Esat Digifone consortium – the biggest contract ever awarded by the State to a private company – had been the focus of the work of the tribunal since 2007.Source: Caribbean 360 News Tweetcenter_img Share 311 Views   no discussions Sharing is caring!last_img read more


first_imgORVC Report (August 21 – August 26)Players of the Week.Volleyball:  Madison Coles – Southwestern and Toria Tucker – South Ripley.Girls Cross Country:  Alyssa Brinkman – Milan.Boys Cross Country:  Bradley Winston – Southwestern.Girls Golf:  Riley King – Switzerland County.Boys Soccer:  Jake Bovard – Rising Sun and Javier Asiain-Urdiroz – Jac-Cen-Del.Girls Soccer:  Taylor Cole – Southwestern and Lily Phelps – Milan.ORVC Report (August 21-26)Courtesy of ORVC Recorder Travis Calvert.last_img


first_imgIn the midst of a sexual abuse scandal involving a former assistant football coach at Penn State University, the university’s Board of Trustees fired Joe Paterno, 84, in the middle of his 46th season as head coach. Penn State President Graham Spanier also stepped down. At press time, there were reports of riots on the Penn State campus. People gathered outside of Paterno’s home in support, and there were reports of news trucks and light posts being overturned as people gathered in the streets. In light of the subsequent events at Penn State, as well as SU’s ties to its program, The Daily Orange sent two reporters and a photographer to State College, Pa., Wednesday. For up-to-date information regarding the events surrounding the Penn State controversy, follow @dailyorange and @DOsports on Twitter. Articles, photos, multimedia and other information will be available on dailyorange.com.  Comments AdvertisementThis is placeholder text Published on November 9, 2011 at 12:00 pmcenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more


first_imgLANDOVER, Md. — Rain awaits the undefeated 49ers as they put their 5-0 record on the line today against host Washington, and wide receiver Dante Pettis literally will take a hands-on approach to it.He planned to change out his gloves.“It’s wild. They work, honestly,” Pettis said Friday. “It’s almost like leather, and for some reason when that gets wet, the ball sticks.”#49ers warming up, including the only guys who’ve thrown passes this season:Jimmy Garoppolo (95.2 passer rating) …last_img


first_img​Real Madrid move forward with women’s teamby Ian Ferrisa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid have stepped up plans to launch their women’s team after members voted by a margin of 90.6 per cent to absorb CD Tacón into the club’s sporting infrastructure in time for the 2020/21 season.Tacón’s licence will now be transferred to Real, with the rebranded team to take up their place in the Liga Iberdrola, the domestic women’s top-flight. TagsSpanish Football NewsAbout the authorIan FerrisShare the loveHave your saylast_img


first_imgzoom Sweden-based shipowner Furetank Rederi AB and its compatriot Rederi AB Älvtank have contracted two additional product/chemical tankers with LNG propulsion at China’s Avic Dingheng Shipyard.The vessels, of which Furetank and Älvtank will own one each, will be delivered during 2018 and 2019.Featuring a dual fuel/LNG propulsion, the vessels will be built to a design developed by FKAB together with Furetank with special focus on minimal impact on the environment, with close to 50% reduction of CO2 emissions, according to Gothia Tanker Alliance.Additionally, the tankers will fulfill the Tier III rules and have LNG for Inert gas production, power production with floating frequency, battery backup (UPS) for all vital functions to minimize use of auxiliary engines, installed ballast water cleaning system, ice class 1A and Alternative Propulsion System.As part of the Gothia Tanker Alliance, the companies, along with their partner Thun Tankers BV, already have four LNG-fuelled tankers under construction at the same yard. The previous vessels were ordered by the alliance in 2015.From the six tanker vessels on order, three will be owned by Furetank, two by Älvtank, while Thun Tankers is the owner of the remaining vessel.The vessels will be commercially managed by Furetank Chartering in the Gothia Tanker Alliance.last_img read more


first_imgOTTAWA – Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says the government will look at ways to make things fair for those who have criminal records for marijuana possession after legalization comes into force.Goodale says the question of pardoning individuals with criminal records for possessing marijuana is legitimate and one the government will pursue once the law takes effect.“When that law changes, which will happen on the 17th of October, then the government will turn its attention to those issues that arise once the law has changed which is in fact making sure that it is fair both in current terms and historic terms to everyone,” Goodale said on CTV’S “Question Period” Sunday morning.Goodale also made the point that the existing law has not yet changed.Goodale’s office said once Bill C-45 is enacted, the government will examine how to make things fairer for individuals who have been previously convicted for minor possession offences, adding that it’s committed to reforming the pardons system.“Inaccessible pardons can be a significant barrier to good employment as many positions require criminal record checks. We want to ensure that the waiting period, fee and purpose of the program are fair, proportionate and productive,” said a spokesperson for Goodale.The government’s legislation to legalize and regulate marijuana passed last week, but it won’t come into effect for another three months.In the lead up to legalizing marijuana, the NDP repeatedly called for the decriminalization of marijuana for personal possession before it becomes legal.NDP justice critic Murray Rankin is expected to introduce a private member’s bill aimed at expunging criminal records of individuals with convicted marijuana-related crimes in the fall after the legislation comes into force.last_img read more